Ecochemistry (degradation, binding and transport of pollutants in soil, plants, water)
Bioremediation (using plants)
Environmental risk assessment of pollutants in soil, plants and water
Education and Professional Experience:
Since 2014 Honorary Professor, Chongqing University
Since 2012 Adjunct Professor, Nanjing University
Since 2004 Full professor and chair-holder for Environmental Biology and Chemodynamics and Director of the Institute for Environmental Research at RWTH Aachen University
Since 2003 Head of the Research Institute for Ecosystem analysis and assessment (co- institute of RWTH Aachen University)
2000 - 2007 (As a second appointment) Director at the Fraunhofer Institute for Molecular Biology and Applied Ecology (IME), Schmallenberg
10 important publications:
- Sybertz A., Ottermanns R., Schäffer A., Scholz-Starke B., Daniels B., Frische T., Bär S., Ullrich C.,Roß-Nickoll M. (2019): Simulating spray series of pesticides in agricultural practice reveals evidence for accumulation of environmental risk in soil. Sci. Total Environ. (accepted for publication).
- Classen D, Siedt M, Nguyen KT, Ackermann J, Schaeffer A (2019): Formation, classification and identification of non-extractable residues of 14C-labelled ionic compounds in soil. Chemosph. 232, 164-170.
- Schäfer RB, Liess M, Altenburger R, FilserJ, Hollert H, Roß-Nickoll M, Schäffer A, Scheringer M (2019): Future pesticide risk assessment: narrowing the gap between intention and reality. Environmental Sciences Europe 201931:21.
- Schäffer A, Kästner M, Trapp S (2018): A unified approach for including non-extractable residues (NER) of chemicals and pesticides in the assessment of persistence. Environmental Sciences Europe 31:21.
- Jeong Y, Schaeffer A, Smith K (2017): Equilibrium partitioning of organic compounds to OASIS HLB (R) as a function of compound concentration, pH, temperature and salinity. Chemosph. 174, 297-305
- Schaeffer A, Amelung W, Hollert H, Kaestner M, Kandeler E, Kruse J, Miltner A, Ottermanns R, Pagel H, Peth S, Poll C, Rambold G, Schloter M, Schulz S, Streck T, Roß-Nickoll M (2016): The impact of chemical pollution on the resilience of soils under multiple stresses: a conceptual framework for future research. Sci. Total Environ. 568,1076-1085.
- Stibany F, Schmidt S, Schaeffer A, Mayer P (2016): Aquatic toxicity testing of liquid hydrophobic chemicals – passive dosing exactly at the saturation limit. Chemosphere 167, 551-558.
- Possberg C, Schmidt B, Nowak K, Telscher M, Lagojda A., Schaeffer A (2016): Quantitative identification of biogenic non-extractable pesticide residues in soil by 14C-analysis. Environ. Sci.Technol. 50, 6415–6422.
- Kästner M, Nowak KM, Miltner A, Trapp S, Schäffer A (2014): Classification and modelling of non-extractable residue (NER) formation of xenobiotics in soil - a synthesis. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology 44, 2107-2171
- Jablonowski ND, Schäffer A, Burauel P (2011): Still present after all these years: persistence plus potential toxicity raise questions about the use of atrazine. Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. 18, 328-331.